Saturday, May 5, 2012

Seed with wings from a tree

While walking home from breakfast after today's shore trip, I noticed some funny looking seeds scattered along a short section of the walkway. The seeds look like

The seeds have wings, which helps them in dispersion by wind. However I could not recognise nor identify the tree that disperse such seed.

The seeds are formed on a twig and falls off individually, waiting for the wind to sweep them to other locations. I have kept these seeds I've collected in a plastic container. Hope that they will come in useful someday.

If anyone knows the I.D. of this seed, do let me know.

1 comment:

  1. From post: "If anyone knows the I.D. of this seed, do let me know."

    The tree that produced these winged seeds is Terminalia calamansanai (Philippine Almond). For details, pls see my comment at your other post 'Mystery of the seeds with wings (Part II)' (06 May 2012).


    From post: "I have kept these seeds I've collected in a plastic container. Hope that they will come in useful someday."

    Perhaps you can use these papery, wind-dispersed Terminalia calamansanai seeds for botanical outreach ... for instance, as comparison against the water-dispersed, corky, egg-shapped fruits of the native Terminalia catappa (Beach Almond).

    Both are Terminalia & yet quite different where the fruits are concerned.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...